Sunday, April 12, 2009

Diagnosis, Prevention & Treatment

Diagnosis




Do you know how Hepatitis B Diagnosed?
Here are the mainly common symptoms for hepatitis B infected patient in roughly 25-180 days:
No appetite on daily meals
Nausea and vomiting
Having fever and increased of body temperature
Always feeling weak and tired easily
Always feel painful at abdominal near the part of the liver (upper right quadrant)
Produced dark urine or waste and light-colored stool
Having joint pain all over the body
Skin and eyes color changed to yellowish. (jaundice)






How to confirm the person has Hepatitis B?


Around 30% hepatitis B patient has no symptoms or signs at the earlier stage and doesn’t confirm when or how they got infected.

By testing a hepatitis B blood panel was the only way to detect the disease positively identified. A simple 3 steps test and which is not included in the schedule of blood tests. The results of the test might be difficult to understand for both health care professionals and patients. So, it is better for the written results of all 3 standard tests be reviewed before a diagnosis is made.


Blood Tests


Here is the simple 3 standard blood tests for hepatitis B:
The person who is infected will have the HBsAg (surface antigen test) which part of the hepatitis B virus. When the hepatitis B virus is present, it will show POSITIVE for the test.
Person who received the hepatitis B vaccine will produced HBsAb or anti-HBs (surface antibody test). When the patient’s immune system has developed a defensive antibody against the hepatitis B virus it will show POSITIVE for the test. The antibody was able to provide long-term protection against upcoming infection.
HBcAb or anti-HBc (core antibody test) does not afford any defense or immunity against the hepatitis B virus. So, it is possible to indicate a false positive. A POSITIVE mean the person have been exposed to the hepatitis B virus and is usually present in those who are chronically infected.

There is a possibility for a person who have both anti-HBs and anti-HBc in the blood which provides immunity to hepatitis B, to still be infected and have HBsAg. Patients with levels of HBV in their blood may test positive for HBeAg (e antigen) or HBV DNA.





Prevention & Treatment


Prevention

  • People who are at the utmost risk to get hepatitis B are:
    Intravenous drug abusers
    Heterosexuals with multiple partners
    Homosexual men
    Health care workers
    Children born to immigrants from China, Southeast Asia, and other areas where hepatitis B is very common


    The Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices, with the agreement of the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Academy of Family Physicians, has suggested and advised that all infants receive hepatitis B vaccine in part of their childhood immunization schedule.

    To achieve the best immunization result, 3 doses of vaccine are required to stimulate antibody in 80-95%. The vaccination schedule mainly used in 3 intramuscular injections, after the 1st dose given, 2nd and 3rd doses will be given at 1-6 months.
    The infant will be injected the first dose of hepatitis B once he is born before discharge from hospital. Second dose will be given in the period of 1-2 months while third dose must be given in the age of 6-18 months.
    Hepatitis B immune globulin and hepatitis B vaccine must be given to the infected infants who derived the virus from mother in 12 hours after birth. Then, second and third doses must be given in 1 and 6 months of age.
    Adults and older children are required to receive the injections in the deltoid while infants are required to get the injections in the thigh. Buttock injection are penalized.


Other preventions:

Cover open wounds, do not share any razors or manicure tools if you are carrier.
Have a safe sex with prevention steps.
Do not share any needles, razors, toothbrushes, manicure tools etc that might contaminate blood.
Do not allow to be pierced or tattooed with non-sterile equipment.
Limit owns alcohol intake.
Do not share IV drug needles or other drug equipment.


Treatment

  • There is always fast and emerging treatments provided for those hepatitis B diagnosed patients. Major advances in biomedical research have resulted efficient and helpful treatments for chronic hepatitis B currently. There is no need for the person with chronic hepatitis to get treatment, but people who show the symptoms of active liver disease may benefit from the currently available drugs.

    When to initiate treatment?

    Treatment can only help the patients to be more healthier or improved at effects view, but not all the patients who show positive for the hepatitis B test need to accept the treatments. Extensive evaluation and treatment guidelines are able to judge and make decisions whether the patient need what type of treatment.

    The targets of HBV treatment are:

    Persistent inhibition of HBV replication
    No detection of HBV DNA in serum
    HBeAg change to anti-HBe seroconversion
    HBsAg to anti-HBs seroconversion
    Decrease of liver disease
    Normalization of serum ALT levels
    Improvement in liver biopsy findings
    Progress in clinical outcome
    Avoidance of liver failure and liver cancer
    Increased survival percentages

    What are the Current Approved Hepatitis B Treatments?


U.S Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved a number of treatment options for infected adults and children.

Interferon-alpha (Intron A) - There are few times of injection provided in the period of 6 months up to a year. This treatment might cause side effects such as flu-like symptoms, depression, and headaches. Children and adult are able to accept this treatment as it already approved in 1991.


Pegylated Interferon (Pegasys) – In the period of 6-12 months, it’s given to the patient once a week. Again, this drug might cause side effects such as flu-like symptoms, depression and other mental health problems. Available for both children and adult and was approved in May 2005.


Lamivudine (Epivir-HBV, Zeffix, or Heptodin) – This treatment was better than the previous because it is a pill and it cause almost zero side effects for the patients. However, it need to be taken once a day for more than one year. A main concern is hepatitis B virus might produce resistance during and after treatment. Approved in 1998 and available for both children and adults.


Adefovir dipivoxil (Hepsera) – Another type of pill which has to take once a day for at least one year or even more. However it might cause several side effects to the patients. Kidney problems might happen while taking the drug. It is only available for adult and it was approved in April of 2005.


Entecavir (Baraclude) – It is in pill type which need to take for at least a year and once a day. It cause almost zero side effects. It the best effective oral antiviral drug for chronic hepatitis B currently. Approved April 2005 and available only for adults.
Telbivudine (Tyzeka) – Another type of anti hepatitis B pill which need to take once a day. It must be coupled with a quite high rate of drug resistance and it might bring no effect for the patients who have lamivudine-resistant hepatitis B.

Drugs, however, doesn’t afford to a 100% cure, unless in rare cases. Person who totally cured from the disease means he lost the hepatitis B virus and also produced antibody in the body. The drugs are able to decrease the risk of liver damage from the hepatitis B virus by slowing down or restrict the virus from replicating.

4 comments:

  1. Nicely done very comprehensive and updated. Can you put in the reference for this section. It will be good to read more about the treatment available for Hep B infection

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha Thank u Sir, finally i found the page that u r satisfied. Thanks..
    For- Diagnosis, How to confirm a person get Hep B infection, Current treatment, please refer this link: http://www.thinkb.org/professionals/diagnosis/
    For- Prevention http://www.healthscout.com/ency/68/513/main.html
    However,the info above might mixed up with other references as our research.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am Susan, Dr. Ekpiku herbal medicine is a good remedy for Hepatitis B , I was a carrier of Hepatitis B and I saw a testimony on how Dr. Ekpiku cure Hepatitis B, I decided to contact him, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for my health. After he finish he sent me the herbs which i took for 10 days before going for a check up and getting there i could not believe that i was confirm Hepatitis B negative after the test,Today i am so happy because i'm free from Hepatitis B disease with the help of Dr. Ekpiku Thank God now everything is fine, I'm cured by Dr. Ekpiku herbal medicine, I'm very thankful to God for making it possible you can reach him on his email i strongly recommend him to any one out here looking for a cure ekpikuspelhomeofgrace@gmail.com or ekpikuspelhomeofgrace@hotmail.com call him +2348073673757) THESE ARE THE THINGS Dr. Ekpiku. . HERPES . HIV/AIDS .CANCER. CANCER...

    ReplyDelete
  4. My life is beautiful thanks to you, Mein Helfer. Lord Jesus in my life as a candle light in the darkness. You showed me the meaning of faith with your words. I know that even when I cried all day thinking about how to recover, you were not sleeping, you were dear to me. I contacted the herbal center Dr Itua, who lived in West Africa. A friend of mine here in Hamburg is also from Africa. She told me about African herbs but I was nervous. I am very afraid when it comes to Africa because I heard many terrible things about them because of my Christianity. god for direction, take a bold step and get in touch with him in the email and then move to WhatsApp, he asked me if I can come for treatment or I want a delivery, I told him I wanted to know him I buy ticket in 2 ways to Africa To meet Dr. Itua, I went there and I was speechless from the people I saw there. Patent, sick people. Itua is a god sent to the world, I told my pastor about what I am doing, Pastor Bill Scheer. We have a real battle beautifully with Spirit and Flesh. Adoration that same night. He prayed for me and asked me to lead. I spent 2 weeks and 2 days in Africa at Dr Itua Herbal Home. After the treatment, he asked me to meet his nurse for the HIV test when I did it. It was negative, I asked my friend to take me to another nearby hospital when I arrived, it was negative. I was overwhite with the result, but happy inside of me. We went with Dr. Itua, I thank him but I explain that I do not have enough to show him my appreciation, that he understands my situation, but I promise that he will testify about his good work. Thank God for my dear friend, Emma, I know I could be reading this now, I want to thank you. And many thanks to Dr. Itua Herbal Center. He gave me his calendar that I put on my wall in my house. Dr. Itua can also cure the following diseases ... Cancer, HIV, Herpes, Hepatitis B, Inflammatory Liver, Diabetis, Bladder Cancer,Colorectal Cancer,HPV,Breast Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Leukemia,Lun,Fribroid,Infertility,Parkinson's disease,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Fibromyalgia, recover your ex. You can contact him by email or whatsapp, @ .. drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com, phone number .. + 2348149277967 .. He is a good doctor, talk to him kindly. I'm sure he will also listen to you.
    Here is my Email contact...piresmis59@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete